IntraSpaces is an experimental space for Liz Roche Company and The Irish World Academy to collaborate on research, performance and pedagogy/training. We are currently company in residence at The Irish World Academy, University of Limerick.
The Irish World Academy of Music and Dance at University of Limerick and Liz Roche Company have developed a new creative partnership, IntraSpaces, an experimental space for both organisations to collaborate on research, performance and pedagogy/training. This is made possible through Liz Roche Company's on-going Residency at the Irish World Academy, UL.
Exchange takes place across the fields of high level professional practice, arts research and performance training to foster relationships between the Academy, Liz Roche Company and a wider range of Irish and international artists, organisations and communities. This partnership model between the university and this professional dance organisation supports the development and dissemination of dance knowledges across the Irish and international arts and research landscape.
Interdisciplinarity is key, with a view to creating opportunities for shared projects to intersect with a range of Academy faculty, students and courses.
Liz Roche Company offers open access to students into its working practices supported by the expertise of the company dancers, associated dance artists and creative collaborators in sound, light, set, costume and dramaturgy.
Particular alignments for shared performance projects are envisioned with the MA Contemporary Dance Performance and the new MA Composition and Creative Music Practice.
A series of artistic and performative outputs are delivered each year:
- Modes of Capture Symposium 2019 to 2022: the symposium is a partnership between Liz Roche Company, Irish World Academy, University of Limerick and Dublin Dance Festival. Exploring the capturing of process in contemporary dancemaking, the symposium has garnered national and international success.
- Company in Residence: Liz Roche Company researches and develops new choreographies in the studios at the Irish World Academy for up to 4 weeks per year.
- Liz Roche in partnership with Professor. Mel Mercier and Dr. Eoin Callery has run an annual 3 day Choreography and Composition intensive with the students of the MA in Contemporary Dance Performance and the MA Composition and Creative Music Practice. Spaces are made available to alumni and local dance artists.
- Students from the MA in Contemporary Dance Performance are given continued access to the Lighting Design for Dance Project run in partnership with The Lir Academy and Dance Ireland.
- Liz Roche, alongside Liz Roche Company associate dance artists and company members, continue to create new work on the students of the MA in Contemporary Dance Performance, creating high calibre creation experiences for the students as well as developing networks and creating pathways for them into the company.